The worst Harry Potter antagonist and why

Well there are so many bad ones, but the one that really strikes a nerve with me is Peter Pettigrew.
Ugh. I just shiver with disgust every time I see his mousy face.
Why does he strike a nerve with me? Because he’s a coward. He’s not like Umbridge who is just plain snobby and mean or like Voldemort who is pure evil. He is just a coward.
He betrayed his best friend of almost 10 years.
Peter met James Potter, Remus Lupin, and Sirius Black when he was 11. He wasn’t really good for much of anything, so he just followed them around. Out of the kindness of their hearts, they did something that I would never have the patience to do. They took poor Peter under their wing and sheltered him throughout school. Anyone would’ve thought Peter would have been grateful after all that, but he wasn’t. Instead, he turned on them and allowed Lord Voldemort to kill his best friends and their one-year-old son. I mean, who does that? After being indebted to James for 10 years, he paid him back by indirectly killing his family.
He faked his own death and got another of his friends to be put into prison.
Now, Peter was just as indebted to Sirius as he was to James. Sirius too, had protected Peter for nearly a decade. He had nothing but respect for the cowardly traitor whom he called his best friend. If killing James wasn’t enough, Peter got another of his best friends to be condemned to a fate worse than death. How can he stand and watch his friend be dragged off by aurors, knowing that Sirius’s soul would be sucked out of his body. How can he live with himself after the betrayal of not one, but two of his childhood companions.
He begged Harry for forgiveness.
Screw whatever James would have wanted. If I had been Harry and I could do whatever I wanted, I would have strangled him with my own hands. Harry knew that Peter had betrayed his parents, and Peter had the nerve to beg Harry for forgiveness. He appealed to Harry’s emotional side to buy himself enough time to run away. On top of that, once again, Peter didn’t testify and accept the consequences of what he had done. Instead, he chose to keep blaming Sirius for something he hadn’t done and simply run away.
He went back to Voldemort and resuscitated him.
If peter had not brought Voldemort back, I don’t know what Voldemort would have done. I suppose he would have eventually come back on his own, but Peter made it so much easier. Basically, he didn’t care about the hundreds of people who would die if Voldemort was to come back; he simply wanted to suck up to the Dark Lord. He helped Voldemort with everything, even at the cost of his own arm, for what? So he could be put on babysitting duty at the manor during the Final War.
Honestly, wouldn’t an early death be worse than living with the burden of the horrible things he did? I’m just about the last person I would call an angel, and even I, the cold-hearted girl, wouldn’t be able to betray another person in that way and live with the burden of knowing that they lost their lives because of me; especially not my best friends.
Peter Pettigrew is the worst antagonist because he is a coward. He doesn’t even know whether he agrees of disagrees with the Dark lord; he only did everything he did because he was too scared to do anything else. He was even too scared to die.

All the rights to this article goes to:
Previous
Next Post »
0 Comment